I know it has been forever since I have posted to this blog, but I had a lot of thoughts I wanted to share. I am actually hoping to write my thoughts for the first year of homeschooling so that people out there wondering if they should do it will have an idea of the day-to-day grind. I am not an expert yet, Monday was my first day doing it and I am already feeling overwhelmed--I am already behind! Why am I behind already? Well, last week I decided to change the homeschooling schedule to be only Mon-Thurs. In order to do this, I had to double up on some of the lessons on those days. Monday I doubled up on History. When I actually looked at the history lesson scheduled for Monday, I realized that at least the first lesson was a compilation of 5 lessons of review from last year for students who were not enrolled in K12 for 1st grade. I wanted Anika to have those lessons, but they take about 30 minutes each. I got through 2 of 5 and so we didn't even touch the second scheduled lesson of the day. Yesterday was the actual first day of school as scheduled (we started a day early, but could not log attendance as a result). We had two math lessons scheduled, but we only did one. We also had meet the teacher in an online conference wherein she told us about herself and asked about the students through an online interface that looked similar to a power point presentation. That took nearly an hour and immediately following that, we were scheduled to have Anika take the DIBELS test. The teacher, who I think I am really going to like, called me up and we talked for at least 30 or 40 minutes before she had me put Anika on the phone to take the DIBELS test. She had her read aloud a few stories that she put up on the conference interface and then took them down while she asked questions about each story's plot. It sounded like Anika did REALLY well on those and I was a proud mama. I was impressed with the willingness of the teacher to talk with me about my questions, even when I went really off-topic. By the time both of those events were done, 2 hours of the day had been eaten up and we didn't end up doing the science, music, or PE lesson scheduled for yesterday. Today I have my visiting teachers coming over during school, but hopefully it won't take too long or I can have Anika take part of that time as her lunch break. I think I will have to work Friday just to make up everything we missed during the week!
Wednesday, August 8, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment